huntington depot



FOHTS was formed in the fall of 2008 by

Irene Moore,

Nancy Berg

Kim D’Ambrosio,

all members of the Highview at Huntington community, located across the street from the Huntington train station



Still working on this section



At the beginning of the twentieth century only a few dozen commuters began their journey into New York City from the Huntington Train Station. But in 1909, the Long Island Rail Road undertook massive system-wide improvements, including the construction of a new depot in Huntington, that helped to increase daily ridership from dozens a day before 1909 to hundreds a day in the 1920s and to thousands a day now.

The Long Island Rail Road first arrived in Huntington in 1867. The station was located on the west side of New York Avenue in a sparsely settled area two miles south of the Huntington business district. Over the years, a thriving commercial district separate from Huntington village grew up around the station.

In 1900, the Pennsylvania Railroad purchased a controlling interest in the LIRR, as part of a joint plan to provide direct access to Manhattan. With an infusion of new money after the merger, the Rail Road undertook system-wide capital improvements including the construction of Pennsylvania Station (which opened on September 8, 1910) and direct access to Manhattan via tunnels under the East River.

The $50 million project included construction of a new brick and stucco station house for Huntington on the east side of New York Avenue; eliminating the grade crossing at New York Avenue by lowering the roadbed; and extending the existing trolley line from Halesite to Amityville.

In January 1909, the railroad unveiled plans for the new Huntington depot, which carried a price tag of $20,000. The new station included direct access from the train to the trolley, which looped into the station on the north side of the tracks, east of the station house.

The new, improved service was greeted with anticipation that Huntington, which would now be just a fifty-minute train ride from the big, new terminal in Manhattan, would become “one of the most important towns on Long Island.”

Huntington’s new station house was opened to the public on October 21, 1909. Although a “beautiful grove of big trees [had] been so wisely preserved at the northerly end of the tract,” the railroad did not have any plans for landscaping the one and half acre station grounds. Beautification of the grounds was left up to the community.

“The railroad depot and grounds are the first things that greet the eye of the stranger entering a village or city and the last thing upon leaving and the impression gained by the visitor from the appearances of the railroad station goes far towards forming his idea as to the character of the community,” The Long-Islander explained. Moreover, properly designed and maintained grounds “will give an added dignity and sense of culture and refinement to the town.” An attractive station “also means better conditions in other ways and a pride in the maintenance of the reputation of the place and the better preservation of law and order.”

The Huntington Association, a group of Huntington’s wealthy summer residents, spearheaded a fund raising drive to underwrite landscaping at the station.

Two years after the new depot was completed, the name of the surrounding community was officially changed from “Fairgrounds” to “Huntington Station.”

The station became a point of pride for the community, especially after a new stationmaster, Maurice Schuck, arrived in 1916. Agent Schuck, who lived in an apartment on the second floor of the station house, quickly gained a reputation for excellent service and for beautifying the station grounds, which were described as “an attractive park of stately trees, ornamental shrubs and beds of flowering plants.” Year after year, he was recognized by the railroad for having the best-kept and most attractive station on Long Island.

Today the local community and the LIRR have again joined forces to beautify the one hundred year old station house located in the heart of Huntington Station. A new group called Friends of the Huntington Train Station has assumed the role previously played by the Huntington Association. More about the history of the Long Island Rail Road


Fall 2008
A local church pastor and FOHTS member, along with his congregation, organized an effort, in coordination with the Town, to paint, weed, and re-landscape two triangular areas in the front area of the train station. LIRR staff, under the direction of the Huntington Branch Manager, provided exterior painting and heavy duty cleaning services to the station platforms and building. These initiatives have helped to improve the general appearance of the grounds at the station. Another FOHTS member led an effort to plant several hundred tulip bulbs along the New York Avenue business district, directly adjacent to the train station. Our design subcommittee identified how we wanted to change the "look and feel" of the interior space of the train station waiting room.

Spring 2009
Based on FOHTS design input, the LIRR transformed the building's interior with new lighting fixtures, ceiling fans, new paint colors, the addition of a chair rail, new windows, and the renovation of the restrooms.
Local church pastor, members of his congregation, and members of FOHTS completed a landscaping project on the south side of the station which included the traffic circle and gazebo area.
The FOHTS Centennial Anniversary Celebration programming subcommittee, headed up by the Huntington Town Historian, put together historical railroad photos for an exhibit which was on display in the interior of the station until year end.
FOHTS hosted a ribbon cutting ceremony on May 19 with elected officials and the president of the LIRR to dedicate the grand opening and historical photo exhibit about the construction of the station building in 1909.

Fall 2009
Hosted a Community Centennial Celebration on Saturday Oct. 10 during the LI Fall Festival weekend and together with the MTA, participated with a float for Huntington's Columbus Day Parade... featuring "Lily LIRR" a train engine.  

"Lilly" a LIRR train engine

Created by
Nancy Berg
Kim D'Ambrosio


FOHTS and LIRR "Parade Gang"



Town of Huntington African American Historic Designation Council (AAHDC) exhibit highlighting a compilation of African Americans and historic sites. Exhibit ran from January to March.
Spring flower plantings.
Additional landscaping improvements being planned for both the north side and south side of the station.


We invite your support or sponsorship of future projects through a tax-deductible contribution to the Huntington Cultural Affairs Institute.

Please forward to:
Huntington Cultural Affairs Institute,
100 Main Street, Huntington, NY 11743
Please note: “Friends Of Huntington Train Station” in the memo portion
of the check.

Contact Kim D’Ambrosio at 631-427-4701
or for more information.


We would like to thank the following generous sponsors and supporters of our efforts to-date. We appreciate your contribution to our success!

Long Island Rail Road
The LifePoint Church
The Huntington Station Business Improvement District
The Rotary Club of Huntington Station
Rob Ripp
Doug Aloise
Dave Morrison
Huntington Historical Society
Steve Hearl
Home Depot, Huntington
Huntington Station Happy Helpers
Town of Huntington Department of General Services
Dunkin Donuts, Huntington
7-Eleven, Huntington Station
El Picacho Catracho Grill, Huntington Station
Johnny D’s Pizza, Huntington Station
Reinwald’s Bakery, Huntington
Deck and Patio Landscaping, Huntington Station
Mark McAteer (The Laurel Group Landscaping firm), Huntington


100th anniversary party set for LIRR station in Huntington

Town to Harvest Rainwater at LIRR Station

Explore LI
LIRR mark Huntington Station’s Centennial

Town of Huntington website

Huntington Life

Times of Huntington




rail raod depot west side
Huntinton Depot-early 1900's
Huntington Station
West Side of New York Avenue



bridge nyave
In 1909-10, New York Avenue was bridged by the railroad and became an underpass. A new station was built again on the north side of the tracks but this time east of New York Avenue on its present site


new train station

Long Island Rail Road Bridges
New York Avenue
New Station Built on East Side of New York Avenue











Huntington Rail Road Depot
Interior Before


Huntington Rail Road Depot
Interior After




Area before improvement


Area after improvements


Area before improvements


Area after improvements